Saturday, January 16, 2010

People MAY Surprise You...

It's been interesting the past couple of days. Biggest lesson?

People are not necessarily who they seem to be.

Whether it's a good or bad surprise, it's proven to be very true the past couple of days.

I won't name names or use very intimate details of the bad one, but I have examples of both to share with you. There was a person who I thought I knew, thought they were cool and fun to be around and could have ended up being a great friend. And of course (I'm sure you've guessed it by now), that person surprised me to my core. They hurt me in a way that very very few people have or ever will in the future. It made me question a lot of things about myself - was I suddenly a bad judge of character? could I have prevented this somehow? how would I look at people differently from now on? would I be able to pick up on the 'red flags'? I just felt horrible knowing that I had previously admired this person and now would give anything to take back my assumptions that this person was a friend. What's worse is that there WAS an awkward feeling at the beginning of the friendship that I just couldn't put my finger on - I dismissed it for whatever reason. Obviously, I should have gone with my gut feeling.

On the other side of the spectrum though, I was surprised to find support and happiness from a person I previously disliked. Funny how people can surprise you, yes? Anyways, I suddenly found myself talking to, trusting and getting (good) advice on things from this person. I saw a side of him that I hadn't seen before and it was nice to know that despite all of his teasing and being a dick, there really is a great side to him and that he truly is loyal to his friends. I am extremely thankful for that surprise.

On another completely different side, I SURPRISED MYSELF! Yesterday, my boyfriend Frank, came home from Woodland - I haven't seen him in about a week. After several interesting situations this last week, I realized how wonderful he is to me and how much I really do love him. SOOOOO....instead of making him cook dinner (as he ALWAYS does), I COOKED!!! This may not be a crazy surprise for you, but you need to know the background for this. I have come to find out that I can bake extremely well. I cannot cook. Cannot. It never turns out the way I hope it will or I mess something up, or any number of things. BUT, after three hours, a smoke alarm going off and me standing in the kitchen watching the minutes go by, I cooked a wonderful meal! I made "Chicken breasts with mushrooms and cream" by Julia Child. I was upset because it didn't look like it was supposed to, but after tasting it, I realized that I'd actually cooked something right! I also made chocolate covered strawberries with white chocolate stripes for desert...my babe was SO impressed! Of course, now that he *thinks* I can cook, he'll probably try to convince me to do it half of the time now. Either way, I completely surprised myself with how well my meal turned out and I think I will cook more in the future!!

In other (bittersweet) news, I am for sure moving back to Roseville. There are many many ups and downs to this, but my main goal is to save up money. More rambling on this news to come....


(Right to Left : my smoke alarm NOW, after I had to murder it; Julia Child's wonderfully yummy recipe; my cute strawberries!)



Hope everyone has had a wonderful week! I'll write again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers